Guest Preacher: Dr. Lovett H. Weems
July 22, 2018, 10:00 a.m.
Dr. Lovett H. Weems, Jr., is distinguished professor of church leadership and senior consultant of the Lewis Center for Church Leadership at Wesley Theological Seminary in Washington, DC.
Weems was the founding director of the Lewis Center in 2003, coming to the position after 18 years as president of Saint Paul School of Theology in Kansas City, Missouri. He became senior consultant in 2017. A native of Mississippi, he was a local church pastor in that state for many years. His years in local church ministry in Mississippi were marked by emphasis on both evangelism and social concerns. His work in Mississippi led the distinguished Mississippi writer Willie Morris to describe him as “one of the persons who added much to the growing civility of Mississippi.”
- Dr. Weems is a graduate of Millsaps College; Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University; and Wesley Theological Seminary. He holds honorary degrees from Baker University, Central Methodist University, and Millsaps College.
- High Yield: Seven Disciplines of the Fruitful Leader, with Tom Berlin (Abingdon,2014)
- Overflow: Increase Worship Attendance and Bear More Fruit, with Tom Berlin (Abingdon, 2013)
- Focus: The Real Challenges That Face The United Methodist Church (Abingdon, 2012)
- Bearing Fruit: Ministry with Real Results, with Tom Berlin (Abingdon, 2011)
- Church Leadership: Vision, Team, Culture, and Integrity, Revised Edition (Abingdon, 2010)
- Take the Next Step: Leading Lasting Change in the Church (Abingdon, 2003)
- Leadership in the Wesleyan Spirit (Abingdon, 1999)
- John Wesley’s Message Today (Abingdon, 1991)